When selling your home, kerb appeal is hugely important if you want to make a great first impression.
Estate agents, too, will factor your home’s instant appeal from the roadside into their valuation.
One way you can make your property really stand out to buyers is with a striking front door – but where do you start?
We took to Instagram to find the most ‘liked’ front doors on the social media platform, as well as the most popular colours – and we’ve also thrown in some Christmas front door inspiration to really get you into the festive spirit.
The most liked doors on Instagram
1. Charming cottages are easily found in the quaint villages of Somerset – but few are as striking as the front of this one. The sage front door is offset beautifully by incredible, climbing pink roses. No wonder this door comes in at number one on our list!
2. Not only is this front door of interiors fan Ashley Gray in Scotland crisp, clean and eye-catching, it’s also hugely festive. Ashley wanted to create an inviting and cosy entrance to her home and she’s definitely achieved that and more.
3. New York is full of architectural history and this property on the Upper West Side of the city proves that wood will never go out of fashion. It’s a real touch of class from the property’s owner and comes in at number three on our most ‘liked’ doors countdown.
4. When it comes to stunning period properties, we need look no further than London. The teal door on this property is matched beautifully with deep purple flowers and green foliage, not to mention those incredible marble steps.
5. If you’re lucky enough to live by the seaside, you want your property’s exterior to make buyers know they’re by the coast. That’s exactly what this property in Newport Beach, California, achieves through its light wood door and stone walkway.
6. As Brittany Smith, otherwise known as @thorn_cove_abode, rightly points out, your front door should set the scene for your property as a whole. Hers, in South Carolina, certainly does and has been painstakingly restored to its former glory.
7. Back to New York for number seven on our list and this time we’re in the West Village area of the city to look at this imposing, striking black door. Deep red bricks demand a dark colour to really bring them to life, which is what these clever owners have done.
8. Design fan Danielle Dixon’s home in the North East shows what a little effort can do to bring your front door to life at Christmas. The foliage and lights work brilliantly with Danielle’s modern, sleek black door.
9. These traditional wooden doors at a property in New England, shared by American firm the Simpson Door Company, have a lovely, rich tone and made a perfect backdrop for some festive foliage.
10. For our final entry on the Instagram dream door list, we’re back at the seaside – this time in Brighton on the south coast. Designer Kate took this shot of a pair of terraced doors in the city and we’re sure you’ll agree they work superbly alongside each other.
Most popular door colours
It seems the home design fans of Instagram prefer the traditional touch when it comes to front doors.
Of the top posts we looked at across five hashtags, brown wooden doors appeared 11 times and made up an impressive 26% of the most liked posts.
Another dark colour in black came in second, while popular tones like sage, red and grey were also present on many most-liked front door posts.
Number of appearances
Share of most liked posts
Christmas door inspiration
After the year we’ve all endured due to the coronavirus pandemic, it seems property lovers are getting into the festive spirit earlier to counteract the misery caused by Covid-19.
Google searches for Christmas decorations, trees and wreaths all soared in October compared with the same time last year.
And it seems front doors are high on decoration priority lists, too, judging by the 236% increase in searches for ‘door wreaths’ and 340% rise for ‘front door wreaths’.
Searches: Oct 2019
Searches: Oct 2020
front door decorations
front door wreath
homemade christmas wreath
So, with festive front door inspiration so in demand this Christmas, here are two of the best decorated doors we’ve seen on Instagram…
When you have a front door as stunning as this one in Mayfair, London, less is most definitely more. Lights, foliage, action…
The owner of this beautiful period home in West London has really gone to town with their festive décor – making a bold statement with hundreds of coloured baubles flowing across and over the property’s wrought-iron gates.
Methodology: We looked at the nine "top posts" on Instagram for Desktop across five hashtags, and recorded the amount of likes for each image, as well as what recurring trends featured in only the static images attributed to these hashtags. We then ranked the images from the most liked to least liked, noted which trends appeared most often, and pulled out the top 5 recurring trends featured in these images.
It will be spring before you know it and that means turning your attention from your front door to your garden. Take a look at these great front garden ideas for inspiration.
And if you’re thinking of selling in the new year, here are the mistakes you have to avoid when putting your property on the market.